Working for a non-profit means you wear many hats. From fundraising to financial management to filing – you do it all! You know that gathering marketing data is key to furthering your mission, but you might struggle on how to gather the data and how to use it successfully. The good news is you may be gathering data and not even know it. And even more importantly using that information in the right way isn’t as hard as you think.
You won’t dispute that gathering data is vital to the success of your nonprofit. Data can be used to find new donors, increase donations from existing donors, and help you figure out where your fundraising should be targeted. Social media and online advertising is a necessity for nonprofits, and it one of the easiest ways gather marketing data.
If you have been in the non-profit game for a while (or even if you are new to the industry), you know building strong relationships is the foundation of a successful and relevant non-profit. There is a good chance that a large part of your job focuses on transitioning non-donors to becoming advocates and finally becoming donors. As these relationships grow, you touch your audience in a variety of ways – online campaigns, events or social promotions. Each of these touchpoints gives you the opportunity to gather data.
There are tons of ways to gather the information you need. Here are just a few examples:
- Host or sponsor an event: Gather registration data, communications preferences, and more.
- Share a personal story: Build awareness through compelling storytelling via social media.
- Encourage others to share their stories for additional social data.
- Website engagement: Use analytics on your website(s) and app(s) to understand who is interacting with your content.
- Questionnaires and Surveys: Ask questions to gather relevant information and to gauge the pulse of your audience.
- Keep in touch with your advocates: Use newsletters and encourage your biggest supporters to re-share posts and stories as well
All you need to know is the data is right at your fingertips – the trick is using it to its full potential. Marketing data can help find new donors, increase donations from existing donors, or even find out where and how donations should be applied. It’s easy to forget how important it is to take advantage of your online presence and branding to grow awareness, increase your donor base and boost donations.
Every piece of data you collect can influence your campaign and its success. The important thing is to start collecting it and using it to your advantage. If you want to learn more on how to use data or improve your social media presence, click here. Deppe Communications has more than 25 years of experience in helping non-profits reach their potential and further their mission.